What is the Lucky Sevens?
Lucky Sevens are Marlene Yu's 7 exhibitions in honor of her 70th solo exhibition in her 77th year at 7 local institutions. Marlene has designed 7 themed, non-overlapping exhibitions selected from her 4000+ paintings, more than 35 series of works, ranging from 16 inches to 37 feet long.
Marlene has had 69 solo shows in the U.S., Europe, and Asia, and is Founder and Curator of the Rainforest Art Foundation. Her work has earned reviews and interviews in 9 languages in more than 200 publications, by numerous art magazines, newspapers, TV, and radio shows, such as ARTFORUM, Art in America, Art News, World Journal, Voice of America, and Barbara Walters’ Today Show.
When and where can I find them?
The premiere event will begin in Marlene's birthday month:
- "Marlene Yu Meet and Greet" - Louisiana State Exhibit Museum - September 25, 2014, 5:30p-8:30p
- at her Louisiana-inspired exhibit, “Purple Swamp & Nature Abstraction”
- Marlene will be available for photos, signed posters and books, notecards, postcards, and commission requests
- Rainforest Art Foundation and Marlene Yu Museum memberships will be offered at discounted introductory rates
Following the Marlene Yu Meet and Greet, the Lucky Sevens exhibitions will be:
- "Purple Swamp & Nature Abstraction" - Louisiana State Exhibit Museum - September 25, 2014 to October 31, 2014; Reception on September 25, 2014, 5:30-8:30pm; (End date was extended to November 2014)
- "Emerald Forest Series" - Robinson Film Center - September 26, 2014 to November 29, 2014; (End date was extended to December 2014)
- "Fire - Element of Life" - Shreveport Regional Arts Council in the mainspace @ artspace - November 15, 2014 to January 17, 2015; Reception on Friday, November 14, 2014, 5-8PM
- "Forces of Nature" - Marlene Yu Museum - December 21, 2014 to May 31, 2015; Preview Party on Thursday, December 18, 2014 and Grand Opening on Sunday, December 21, 2014
- "Dream Series" - Meadows Museum of Art at Centenary College - February 21, 2015 to May 2, 2015; Reception on Saturday, February 28, 2015; (End date was changed from May 3 to May 2, 2015)
- "Glacier Melting Series" - Sci-Port: Louisiana's Science Center - March 17, 2015 to June 12, 2015; (End date was extended from April 26 to August 2015)
- "Crystal Reef Series" - Bossier Arts Council in the Eastbank Gallery - June 11, 2015 to July 31, 2015, Reception Saturday, June 13, 2-4PM; (Start date was changed from June 1 to June 11, 2015)
**Dates and programming subject to change.
How can you get involved?
Help us welcome this New York based, world renowned artist to Louisiana with Southern hospitality!
- Join our Welcome Party! Sponsors benefit Rainforest Art Foundation's Young Artists Gallery, a space designed for kids to exhibit their work, participate in collaborative Kids Can art projects, learn about biology and art in summer camp style programs, and more! Founder's dinner, recognition and tickets: click the SPONSOR button here.
- Click here to print your passport! Follow the "M" - come to each event to see a different series, get stamped at all Lucky Sevens, and receive a collectible book.